A. It is unlawful for any person to establish or maintain any hive, stand or box where bees are kept or keep any bees in or upon any premises within the corporate limits of the village unless the bees are kept in accordance with the following provisions:
1. No hive, stand or box where bees are kept shall be located closer than twenty (20) feet to any property boundary. Such hives, stands or boxes may only be located in the rear yard.
2. If bee colonies are kept within fifty (50) feet of any exterior boundary of the property on which the hive, stand or box is located, a barrier that will prevent bees from flying through it, no less than five feet high, shall be installed and maintained along the exterior boundary. The barrier may be either a natural planting or artificial.
3. Fresh, clean watering facilities for bees shall be provided on the premises.
4. The bees and equipment shall be kept in accordance with the provisions of state law.
5. A conditional user permit shall first be obtained pursuant to the village zoning code.
B. Nothing in this section shall be deemed or construed to prohibit the keeping of bees in a hive, stand or box located within a school or university building for the purpose of study or observation.
(Prior code § 7-1-21)